History

Highland School is located on top of LookoutMountain in the Highland Community, found in the farthest Northeastern corner of Etowah County, Alabama.  The school district joins the Gadsden City Limits on the south side and extends north for twelve miles to the Cherokee and DeKalb county lines.  The district is bordered by mountain ridges on the east and west.  It is divided by Black Creek which flows the length of the school district.  

          The originalHighlandSchool facility was constructed in 1950.  Agricola, Brice, and BlackCreekElementary schools were combined to form the new school. Initially HighlandSchool served first through fifth grade and opened with 409 students enrolled.  It currently serves Kindergarten through eighth grade with a population of 262 students. The Kindergarten through fifth grades classes are served in a self-contained setting.  The sixth through eighth grades are departmentalized. 

          Over the years, as the student population grew, additional classrooms and student restrooms, as well as a gymnasium, science lab, and teacher workroom were added.  Construction began in December of 2002 for a new cafeteria.  On May 15, 2003, HighlandSchool was completely destroyed by a fire.  The only structures that remained were the new cafeteria which was under construction and the gymnasium, both of which were not connected to the original facility.  The students, staff, and faculty of HighlandSchool conducted classes in modular buildings which are connected by a boardwalk. Construction on a new, state-of-the-art facility began in September of 2003.  The cafeteria was completed and occupied on September 25, 2003. A new school facility was completed in August, 2004.  We are currently in our 5th year in the new school.